My Guide Website?
Big Island: Full-Day Hike and Bird Watching Tour with Lunch
Hop into a comfy 4WD and explore the lush Hakalau Forest on this day trip. Search for native and endangered birds, and wildlife with your expert bird tracking guide, and enjoy a packed lunch.
- Spend a day in the exclusive Hakalau Forest National Wildlife Refuge
- Search for native and endangered birds including Amakihi, Apapane, and Elepaio
- Discover rare native plants and animals, including carnivorous caterpillars
- Learn about Hawaiian nature and wildlife with a professional guide
DescriptionJoin a group tour perfect for nature-lovers and adventure-seekers. Journey across Hawai'i island to the Hakalau Forest National Wildlife Refuge in search of rare, endangered birds and wildlife. Enjoy your full-day trip into the country's first refuge established for forest birds with a licensed guide. Hakalau Forest is home to some of the rarest plants, birds, and insects on earth. Keep your eyes peeled for endangered birds. You'll see the vibrant red I'iwi and ‘Apapane, the wide-eyed Pueo, the bright yellow ‘Akiapōlā’au and ‘Amakihi, the unassuming but marvelous Hawai‘i Creeper, ‘Elepaio and ‘Ōma’ō, and the Hawaiian hawk, ‘Io. Shake your legs out with moderate hikes up to 4 miles long, and get up close and personal with wildlife. Cross the entire refuge in the comfort of a 4WD short wheelbase Mercedes Sprinter to access those off-the-beaten-track locations.
IncludesPickup and drop-off from Queen’s Marketplace in Waikoloa and the local partner's headquarters in Kona Professional bird tracking guide Transportation in a 4WD Mercedes Sprinter Deli-style lunch Water station for refills (but no water bottles) Snacks Daypacks Hiking sticks Rain gear Binoculars
- You should be able to hike on uneven or rocky terrain for this tour It's best to dress in layers as temperatures can vary, and conditions are sometimes cool, wet, or muddy Other tour restrictions may apply